Butterfly on a leaf

Considering Pacifica for your graduate education? Here is a list of items to consider and some helpful resources.

F1 Visa Information:

  • Pacifica is authorized under Federal Law to enroll international students offering the F-1 Visa only.  This means that you cannot have any other Visas, i.e. H1-B, F2, etc., that involve student employment, or work status because of the unique learning model we use requiring only limit residential time on campus. FI Visa prohibits any employment authorization while enrolled at Pacifica Graduate Institute.
  • F1 Visa applications, or Change of Status applications, may take up to three months to process.
  • Most students use the F-1 visa as a commuter visa and travel back and forth to their country of origin at least once a month.
  • Whether you choose to remain in the U.S. or not, international students are required to provide sufficient evidence of financial well-being.  Program specific financial statements can be found below.
  • Once accepted, international students must supply documentation of financial support, this could include bank statements, showing the ability to finance their education, and if relocating, ability to finance their living expenses while studying in the U.S.
  • Students are also required to provide a copy of their passport.
  • You may not enter the US until one-month prior to the start of your classes. Please plan for your travels and transition in a timely manner.
  • For Counseling & Clinical Psychology Programs: Curricular Practicum Training (CPT) is limited but can be arranged as needed (300 hours for Counseling, 1500 for Clinical, 70 per year for Depth summer fieldwork). Optional Practicum Training (OPT) – post-coursework extension of the 1-20 – can be arranged on an individual basis.

 Application Process for International Applicants:

  1. Contact Admissions
    • a. The Office of Admissions is your first point of contact for information about Pacifica’s degree programs and the admissions process. Please contact our office at 805.879.7305 or at admissions@pacifica.edu. Or, use this checklist to help get you started with the process.
  2. Apply
    • a. Apply online to one of Pacifica’s nine graduate degree programs and specializations prior to April 1st or as soon as possible to allow sufficient process time to obtain any additional documentation required to study in the United States.  For Spring enrollment, applications should be started by December 1st to allow sufficient process time.
    • b. The initial application should take 5-10 minutes to complete and you will be asked to provide general information and prior degrees. There is a $75 application fee that is payable with a Visa, Mastercard, American Express or Discover card. Once the Office of Admissions receives your application, a confirmation email will be sent with a list of the program specific documents required in order to complete your application file.
    • c. International credit cards should process fine, but if you have any issues, please contact the Office of Admissions.
  3. Transcripts and Letters of Recommendations
  4. Additional Required Documents
    • a. Each program requires a writing sample, personal statement and resume.  Please visit our application requirements section for the program specific guidelines and contact our Office of Admissions for more detailed instructions.
  5. Application Review and Interview
    • a. Once the required application document shave been submitted, the completed application file will be sent to the Admissions Committee for review and consideration for an interview.  Upon review and recommendation, applicants may be invited to interview
    • b. Interviews are a required part of the admission process.  The interview is conducted either on-campus or by phone depending on each program’s policy.
      • NOTE: M.A. in Counseling Psychology and Ph.D./Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology programs require on-campus interviews, but international applicants will be provided a skype option for the interview.
    • c. Notification of the admissions decision is sent after the interview
  6. Acceptance

Financial Aid for International Students:

  • Federal Financial Aid is not available for International Students, but check with your home country as some do offer aid for its citizens.
  • Pacifica is pleased to provide several institutional scholarship opportunities.  These are merit-based and need-based.
    • The renewable scholarships deadline is May 15th and the Educational Assistance scholarships deadline is September 1, 2017.  Applicants must be accepted PRIOR to these dates in order to be considered for the scholarships. For information about our scholarships and process, please visit Pacifica’s scholarship information
  • International and domestic student tuition and residential costs are the same.
  • Check out the SmartStudent Guide to studying in USA – This website contains information that is relevant to international students who wish to study and live in the United States. It covers everything from college admission and financial aid, passports and visas, to cultural diversity and living in the US. A Scholarship database search for international students may also be found on the website – check it out at http://www.edupass.org.
  • International students may qualify for Private Alternative Loans to cover their educational expenses. Most programs require a credit-worthy US Citizen or permanent resident to co-sign. Most loan programs allow students to borrow up to the cost of attendance each academic year. Interest rates vary among programs and lenders.


Canadian students can learn more about the Canadian grant and loan programs available at www.esdc.gc.ca . * Pacifica is not responsible for the content or services provided on these websites. *
For further questions, please contact the Office of Admissions at 805-969-3626 ext. 305 or at admissions@pacifica.edu.  For F1 visa-related and/or financial statement questions, please contact our Registrar, Francine Matas who handles all visa application information at 805.969.3626 ext. 165 or fmatas@pacifica.edu.  For Finanical Aid questions, please contact our Finanical Aid office at 805-969-3626 ext. 197 or at finanicalaid@pacifica.edu