COVID-19 Information & Resources
Updates on Campus Reopening
Spring 2022 Reopening Announcement (2.25.22)
In a letter to the community on February 25, Pacifica announced it will be reopening its campus for the spring 2022 quarter in the concurrent classroom format. Please see the SPRING REOPENING FAQs for complete details.
Winter 2022 Reopening Delay Announcement (12.21.21)
As announced to the community on December 21, 2021, Pacifica has made the difficult decision to delay our campus reopening as a result of the emerging surge from the Omicron variant. Students, faculty, and staff can refer to the announcement sent from the Office of the President for more details. We will continue to update the community on reopening details as we head into the new year, beginning with some additional FAQs.
Winter Reopening Announcement (10.23.21)
Building on our recent announcements about limited campus access this fall, the decision has been made to reopen both campuses and hold classes for the coming winter 2022 quarter in a mixed-delivery format. After much deliberation and consultation, we shall reopen for on-campus classes in the winter quarter for vaccinated students only. Unvaccinated students will be able to join their classes virtually. In addition, vaccinated students may choose to join remotely if they have continued, serious health concerns. This means that classes during residential sessions will be taught in a “concurrent classroom” with some students physically in the campus classroom and some joining live remotely.
To best prepare, it is important to have an accurate sense of how many will be on campus versus remote for the winter quarter. We ask that all students in coursework submit this DECLARATION OF INTENT form by October 29. Please read the remainder of this email and the updated FAQs (linked below) for further information on plans and securing your commitment to a winter quarter attendance method.
Our decision weighed the various factors of health and safety, educational quality, accreditation, and the diverse needs and structures of Pacifica and its community members. We received recent news from WSCUC regarding the continuation of temporary approval of remote learning, as well as valuable guidance from the Santa Barbara County Public Health Department. These, along with the mandates occurring at the federal and state levels, are in line with and support this course of action for the winter.
While recognizing Pacifica reflects current society in containing differing viewpoints on the vaccine and mandates, our stance on vaccination reflects ethics of care and responsibility towards the community as engaged institutional citizens. With hundreds of students coming on and off campus and arriving in our local area each month, as good stewards of place, we have a responsibility to the Pacifica communities, local and general, to conduct our operations as safely as possible, while offering the options for those unable to be physically present to continue their education uninterrupted.
To read further about our decision and other details related to winter reopening, please refer to our updated FAQs. And per the above, we ask that all students in coursework submit the DECLARATION OF INTENT form by Friday, October 29. Note: dissertation students will also be able to come to campus in the winter. Details about that process will be sent in a separate communication.
- October 18, 2021 – Limited Fall Access FAQs
- September 28, 2021 – Update from Pacifica – Limited Fall Access & Vaccination/Face Covering Policies
- July 26, 2021 – Update from Pacifica – Campus Reopening FAQs
- March 8, 2021 – Update from Pacifica – Spring and Summer 2021 Quarters
- November 25, 2020 – Update from the President – Winter Quarter & Thanksgiving Message
- June 30, 2020 – Pacifica Update – Summer & Fall 2020
- Apr 22, 2020 – Update from the President
- Apr 3, 2020 – Message from IT Security Information
- Mar 30, 2020 – Student Support Resources for Distance Learning
- Mar 27, 2020 – Update from the President
- Mar 20, 2020 – Update
- Mar 13, 2020 – Notice from the President re Transition to Online
- Mar 11, 2020 – Update COVID-19
- Mar 10, 2020 – Brief Update
- Mar 5, 2020 – COVID-19 Coronavirus Information
- Feb 4, 2020 – Coronavirus and Pacifica’s Response
- Zoom-Participant instructions PGI
- Student Online Etiquette
- Library Services and Collections