M.A. in Engaged Humanities and the Creative Life with Emphasis in Depth Psychology
Online Humanities Masters Degree (with four residentials per year)
We offer a Masters in Humanities (online with one 4 day residential each quarter) designed for the challenges of the 21st century in making people creative, more responsive to changing paradigms and technology, more authentic, grounded, psychologically healthy, insightful, intuitive and effective.
What Can You Do With A Humanities Degree?
Susan Rowland, Program Chair, Gives Answers
Our world is characterized by ecological and social challenges as well as technological change. Only a community with exceptional creativity skills can thrive in such conditions. Pacifica’s M.A. Engaged Humanities and the Creative Life is a Masters in Creativity that is specifically designed to enable students to become employees and citizens who can meet these challenges.
The Creative Life
With a framework of Jungian psychology, this online Masters in Humanities fosters creativity in a uniquely effective way by drawing upon those aspects of the human psyche neglected by the constructs of post-industrial western modernity. The 21st century needs far more than the highly rationalized and mechanistic thinking perfected in the industries and sciences of the twentieth. It also needs the imagination, capacity for the new, intuitive insight into other cultures and what is not yet fully known, the ability to dream and especially the ability to engage in deep and free flowing creative collaboration.
Expanding creativity is the core of the degree by offering a Masters in Humanities that is oriented to the creative imagination, meaning the talent for making new, for re-thinking traditional structures, for deep listening to what is said and unsaid, for generating images for the not yet known or conceived, for the ability to work so intensely with others that shared visioning and collaborative worlds are made and re-made. This Masters in Creativity is for those who want to be artists, and artists of their own lives. It is above all for those who want to be artists of our future world.
A Unique Online Program
Therefore our unique online Masters in Humanities and Creativity program has three foundations: the humanities as engaged in making culture; depth and Jungian psychology treating the psyche or soul as an intensely creative organ, and creative practice as a way of developing being human and engaging with the world. For all who want to realize their creative potential in the twentyfirst century, the M.A. Engaged Humanities and the Creative Life seeks those of you who want to join a creative program not so much of the world; but for it!
Practical Careers From Engaged Humanities:
Explained by Susan Rowland & Maren Hansen
Students go on to live and work more creatively, or foster creativity in themselves and others including anyone in the visual, performing, narrative, studio, and media arts; the creative side of advertising, marketing, and product development; teachers of art, literature, and the humanities; or professionals in fields such as architecture, interior design, fashion, and the film, television, and music industries.
Students in the M.A. in Engaged Humanities & the Creative Life program:
- Discover strategies for tapping into the deep well of the psyche as a source of creativity.
- Study how people working in any creative capacity inspire and influence each other.
- Increase their generativity and cultivate their aesthetic sensibility and sensitivity by being in constant conversation about the creative life with faculty and peers, with great literature, classic films, and works of art spanning diverse genres, cultures, and periods of time.
- Find rich sources of inspiration in the humanities, including the study of mythology, philosophy, psychology, history, literature, and ecology as they affect the art and craft of living and working artfully.
- Complete two substantial creative projects and reflect upon their creative process.
- Receive a degree that expands their vocational options and opens up new career possibilities.
"Pacifica's M.A. in Engaged Humanities and the Creative Life enables you to conceive and incubate your own creative project either drawn from professional life in the world, or from your desire to live more authentically. Come and learn with us arts practice enhanced by the creative psyche and the ecological humanities." -Susan Rowland, Ph.D., Chair of the M.A. Engaged Humanities and the Creative Life program
Featured Blog Posts and Multi-Media
- We are all Parisian
- The Ecocritical Psyche: Literature, Evolutionary Complexity and Jung
- Overview of the program's foundations, what types of student's it attracts, and a course sampling (mp3)
- Recent teleconference on Image as a Sign & Symbol (mp3)
- The online/hybrid learning format: An Introduction (mp3)